There are plenty of ways to eat healthy, but the primary goal is to eat more whole or minimally processed foods and less junk food. This recipe features lots of nutritious whole foods that pack a ton of flavor too. Turmeric, ginger, and cilantro are some of the nutritious heavy hitters in this dish. These foods have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help boost your immune system. The chickpeas and tomato provide lots of fiber, which feeds healthy gut bacteria, keeps us regular, and can help manage cholesterol and blood sugar.
Chana Masala Recipe
• 1 Tbsp ground cumin
• 1 Tbsp ground coriander
• 1 tsp ground turmeric
• 1 tsp ground chili powder
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 inch fresh ginger, minced
• ½ C fresh cilantro, chopped
• 1-2 jalapenos, minced
• 28 oz diced tomatoes
• 2 15oz cans chickpeas
• 1 lemon, juiced
• Salt and pepper
• 12-16 oz protein like pre-cooked chicken, tofu, or halloumi cheese, diced (optional)
1. Combine all the garam masala spices.
2. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the oil, onion, spices, and 1 tsp salt.
3. Once onions are tender, add minced garlic ginger, cilantro, and jalapeno. Stir 30-60 seconds.
4. Add the canned chickpeas and diced tomatoes. If mixtures looks too thick, add ½ C water.
5. Bring mixture to boil, add protein (optional), and reduce to simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until thick and stew-like, stirring occasionally.
6. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
Watch Grey’s Chana Masala Cooking Demo
(Click image to start video)