Louisiana summers are hot. So hot many of us don’t even want to turn the stove or oven on. Chef Melissa Brannan of Now You’re Cooking understands this struggle. That’s why she taught us how to make a simple gapacho (could tomato-based soup) recipe that took about two minutes to whip up. Check out her recipe below.
- 2 pounds ripe red tomatoes, quartered and cored
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded, roughly cut into chunks
- 1 small red onion, peeled and roughly cut into chunks
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded, roughly cut into chunks
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 to 2 Tbs sherry or red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Combine tomatoes, pepper, cucumber, onion and garlic in a blender and blend at high speed until very smooth, pausing if needed to scrape down the sides with a rubber spatula.
With the motor running, add the vinegar and salt. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil. Mixture will turn an orangish color as it emulsifies. Adjust seasoning to taste with vinegar and salt. Chill soup well. Makes 2 quarts.