We’ve all heard it before…breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Yet many of us struggle to start the day off right.
To help us get started, we invited the LSU AgCenter team over to the clinic to teach us a new, healthy breakfast recipe. Who knew banana splits could be healthy!
Breakfast Banana Split:
- 1 banana
- 1/4 cup of blackberries
- 1/4 cup of strawberries
- 1/4 granola
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
Cut banana length-wise, down the middle. Spoon Greek yogurt between the two slices of banana. Top with berries, granola, and other desired toppings.
Why is this a good recipe to start your day? According to the LSU AgCenter:
- The daily recommendations for fiber are 22 grams for women and 28 grams for me, over the age of 50.
- Some great sources of fiber include fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and beans.
- Fiber is important for lowering cholesterol, controlling blood sugars, preventing constipation, and reducing the risk of colon cancer.
- TIP: make sure you are drinking enough water to avoid stomach pains and constipation. Another important part of gastrointestinal health is probiotics. The main source of probiotics is yogurt, but you can also find it in pickled vegetables and aged cheese.
- Probiotics is important for healthy gut movement, regularity, and might help with allergies, and skin, urinary, and vaginal health.